Comprised of more than 7,700 images on glass plate negatives, the Mildenhall Collection of photographs document most aspects of the foundation era–the1920s to the 1930s–in Canberra’s history as the new capital city of Australia. Both as historical documents and as works of art, the Mildenhall photographs held by the National Archives of Australia, and a smaller collection held by the National Library of Australia, are of great significance to Australia.
Content starts here
Loading photographsView all
Aerial view over Commonwealth Bridge looking south showing Albert Hall, Hotel Canberra and West Block (negative reversed).
Opening of Salvation Army Hall by Sir John Butters and dedicated by Commissioner Charles Sowton on 6 July 1929 at Eloura and Fawkner Streets, Braddon - bands and spectators
Franklin Street Manuka and Capitol Theatre from Manuka Oval which was being prepared for sowing seed.
CSIR Laboratory Building, Insectarium behind, Clunies Ross Street, Black Mountain, under construction.